- rapidly characterise their effluent;
- consistently predict final effluent quality;
- determine the optimum-cost effluent management solution.
- The following business benefits would result:
- competitive advantage through increasing the speed of response to new product enquiries;
- cost-effective compliance with statutory requirements;
- minimising costs of effluent treatment operations.
Effluent management toolkit
Specialised organic chemicals companies produce 35 million m3/year of effluent, spending £55 million/year on treatment. The need to respond quickly to customer demand for products presents particular difficulties due to the complex and changing nature of the wastes. Together with increasing regulatory requirements, this has meant that companies have had to use end-of-pipe technologies that are readily available to treat particular components of the effluent. This may result in many companies having to:
- turn down potential new product opportunities;
- increase capital and operational costs to manage new effluents;
- replace treatment technologies every 2 – 3 years… request a copy of the full document >>
© Crown copyright