When treating open and closed heating and cooling systems with chemical products, it is helpful to know system volumes to ensure that the correct dosage rates are used, avoiding waste and potentially harmful under or over-treatment.
There are various methods for estimation of system volumes based on power consumption, energy rejection, pump ratings etc., however, they can be very unreliable – particularly for older systems.
ACCEPTA FLT-P is a conveniently packaged product used for determination of system water volumes that are estimated to be in the range of 1-40m3. Multiple packs can be used for larger systems, contact your Accepta Representative for further guidance.
ACCEPTA FLT-P utilises PTSA (PyreneTetraSulfonic Acid) salt as a stable and inert, water-soluble fluorescent tracer. The product is not classified as hazardous and does not present any risks to human health or the environment.
A photometer or suitable probe capable of measuring PTSA in the range of 10-1000ppb is required. Equipment for clean and accurate dilution may also be needed.
- One full bottle (1 litre) should be added to the system under test
- Sufficient time and then flow should be applied to ensure that the product is circulated throughout the whole system. This could be 24 hours or more in some cases
- Take a representative system sample using a clean, uncontaminated container
- Measure the PTSA concentration in ppb / µg/l (dilution may be required depending on instrument range – ensure you multiply reading by dilution factor before calculation of system volume)
- System volume (m3) = 1000 ÷ PTSA measurement (ppb)
- PTSA value obtained after 24 hours circulation, following addition of 1 litre of FLUOROTRACE ‘P’ is 125ppb
- 1000 ÷ 125 = 8
- System volume = 8m3
Safety, Storage & Handling
For full details concerning safety precautions, storage and handling procedures for this product please refer to the latest Safety Data Sheet.
To request the latest MSDS for this product please fill out the form below.